567 Hillside Dr.
Alpine, UT 84004 USA
M +1 801 310 8629
H +1 801 492 7888
Over 25 years as a senior technology executive with strong operational and international expertise establishing, building and expanding profitable technology and new media ventures globally through progressive—even revolutionary—business models and processes. Principal focus on Sales, Marketing and Business Development functions, with exceptionally strong finance orientation and technology knowledge both broad and deep beyond what you usually find in an executive with a Sales/Marketing background.
Exceptional international skills—strategic, tactical and operational—with particular strength in Japan and the Asia/Pacific region, though also have extensive experience in Europe as well.
Training, mentoring and education expertise in multiple business, education and training scenarios covering a wide range of business-related content. Expert Executive Facilitator for Business Acumen and C-Level Sales workshops, webinars and coaching for Fortune 500 clients on a worldwide basis.
Fast-paced, entrepreneurial background resulting in an unbroken record of growth and progress for every single endeavor with which I’ve been involved. Board member and advisor for multiple successful start-ups.
- Executive Leadership—I have been Founder, CEO, COO, CRO (Chief Revenue Officer), VP Sales/Marketing, VP Business Development and VP International Operations at companies including Tangible Express, Access Technology Solutions, Communitect, MyFamily.com/ Ancestry.com, Photodisc, Micrografx, and others.
- High Growth Environments—I’ve consistently generate triple-digit growth—always on forecast and under budget. I’ve also spearheaded 6 specific “paradigm-breaking” new products and/or business models that totally redefined a marketplace or industry while establishing undisputed market leadership. I have held senior executive positions at 4 Inc. 500 “Fastest Growing” companies, producing annual growth rates between 20% and 1000%.
- International— I have had P&L responsibility for 26 separate subsidiaries/sales offices in 16 markets worldwide on every continent except Antarctica. Beginning with personal experience as a translator (Japanese—over 5000 pages of Japanese computer documentation), I’ve localized 36 software products and 15 websites into a total of 11 different languages. I lived and worked overseas (Tokyo) running international operations (APAC, EMEA and non-U.S. Americas) for a top 10 software vendor. In every assignment, I have consistently grown non-U.S. sales from as little as under 15% to more than 70% of company overall revenues.
- Strategic Partnerships—I have pioneered relationships with many of the world’s leading tech firms including Microsoft, Dell, Compaq, Acer, NEC, Epson, Canon, Mitsubishi, Fujitsu, Philips, IBM, SONY, Novell, Corel and many, many more. In numerous cases, this was the first time they had ever entered into such strategic relationships.
- Training and Mentoring—I have developed and taught university and professional level courses in marketing, sales, business planning, entrepreneurship and creative thinking strategies, and as an active Executive Facilitator for Kirby Associates and Kirby Arnold Associates (the premier consulting firm focusing on business acumen and C-Level sales training for elite sales and other business professionals), have conducted multiple training sessions internationally.
- Entrepreneurial—I have direct entrepreneurial experience (as an executive and principal) with 6 start ups, one resulting in an IPO. In addition, I’ve also been a part of 5 M&A transactions of various configurations. I’ve raised close to $100M for ventures in which I’ve been involved, and have relationships with over 100 venture capitalists worldwide.
- Technical Domain Expertise—I have an affinity for cutting edge technologies that create new markets or radically change the landscape of existing ones. I have specific current experience and exposure to:
- Internet/eCommerce—shopping cart, merchandising, global logistics, payment systems
- Interactive marketing—email, online advertising, SEO, SEM, conversion architecture
- User-generated content—blogs podcasting/vidcasting, social bookmarking
- Shrink-wrapped and digital media—content and creation, graphics/video/audio/music
- Social networks—focusing on monetization of professional social networks
- Consumer electronics—audio/video digital devices and programming
- Storage technologies—disk, tape, optical, flash—as well as virtual
- Advanced manufacturing—Rapid prototyping, manufacturing and tooling technologies including SLA, SLS, Cast Urethane, etc.
- Stanford University (Stanford, CA) non-degreed, 3.75 GPA. Lost full 4-year scholarship during two-years absence to serve a volunteer church mission
- Foothill College (Los Altos Hills, CA), A.A. Degree in Japanese, 4.0 GPA
- Metropolitan State College (Denver, CO), B.A. in Entrepreneurial Studies, 4.0 GPA
- Metropolitan State College/University of Colorado (Denver, CO), Adjunct Professor, Center for Entrepreneurship & Creativity
- University of Phoenix, designer of first course materials for Entrepreneurial Studies
- Stanford Alumni Association
- American Marketing Association
- International Association of Interim Executives (IAIE)
- American Electronics Association (AEA) Chairman, Japan Software Committee
- American Chamber of Commerce in Japan (ACCJ) Technology Committee member
- Business Software Alliance (BSA) Asia/Pacific Executive Committee member
- National Eagle Scout Association